Monday, July 20, 2015

And Then There Are Those Moments...

And then there are those moments...
It was February, 1995, and NANPA (the North American Nature Photography Association) was having its very first Summit in Ft. Meyers, FL. Everything was magical about that first gathering of over 500 photographers and publishers from around the planet.

Some of the attendees were internationally famous photographers like Tom Mangelsen, Frans Lanting and Robert Glenn Ketchum. Others were publishers and editors from magazines like National Geographic, National Wildlife and Audubon. But the majority were simply avid nature photographers who were finally getting a chance to gather and share a common passion.

What was truly special was that everyone - from the first year photographer to the most seasoned and published conservation photographer - was able to sit and share, knowing that we all had stories about our photographic journeys and all worked to capture that "magical photo". I don't think that there was a single person at the Summit who didn't leave with at least one incredible moment to share.

My moment was getting an opportunity to photograph in the Ding Darling National Wildlife refuge on Sanibel/Captiva Island for the first time. For a Colorado photographer, it felt like I was stepping into Jurassic Park! Tears rolled down my face as every 50 yard trek revealed another first for my bird list. And when I thought it couldn't get any better, there, photographing to my left stood my idol - Roger Tory Peterson, the Father of NANPA and the Peterson Field Guide series and my 'bible", the Peterson Field Guide to Western Birds!

I quickly maneuvered my wife, Linda, to stand to his left, and making sure I wasn't too obvious, photographed Roger and Linda, side by side, shooting wading birds.

Apparently, I wasn't as stealthy as I thought! I blushed as Roger turned to me after I shot the photo and smiled. Well, since I had already blown my cover, what could I lose by asking him to autograph my copy of the Peterson Field Guide to Western Birds!?

No comments: